Generator Project Update
The generator (MEP006A) had a power-off failure recently.
Upon investigating, found that the exciter had received some serious overcurrent (melted the soldered connections on the diodes on the exciter winding) as well as may have fried something inside the excitation module above (big green box).
Need to perform triage and figure out what happened…but hopefully have this back online soon.
Upgrades thus far:
- Replaced Primary Fuel Filter with Dual Element Glass (like on John Deere Industrial)
- Replaced Secondary Fuel Filter with Single Element Racor Spin-On
- Changed Oil
- Changed Oil Filters
- Checked Valves
- Rebuilt Injection Pump (had bad seals on shaft and rubber coupler…very common)
- Replaced bad fuel lines
- Cleaned Connections on Fuel Pumps (problem area)
- Serviced Cooling System (CAT Long-Life Coolant 50/50)
I am also working on building a tandem axle trailer just for this unit. The axles/rough frame was donated by one of the family friends Tony. Removed the decking (rotten) and narrowed the axles/frame by 1.5ft and shortened it considerably. I purchased new bearing kits, two new drums, four electric brake backing plates, and two new tire/wheel combos. I also purchased some upgraded lighting (LED all around) and trailer connectors/etc. I got all 24V compliant lighting so I can power basic proximity lighting on the generator while it is running on a job-site or parked precariously. It will have a new frame horn (heavy duty) and unless stolen, jacking points on all four corners. I would like to do locking cable/tool boxes to store various associated items.
That is all for now! More updates when I find out what let the smoke out.